Thursday, November 23, 2006

Rolling with RubyCLR

I downloaded RubyCLR today to play around with it and found that it was much more productive than IronPython. The reason is quite the same as what I mentioned in my previous blog entry. The Ruby-CLR bridge, which is essentially a library, is implemented as a native Ruby extension. So, this gives the developers the choice of using both C based modules and .NET based assemblies from the same script. And thus, in my opinion, RubyCLR is better than JRuby. We do not have to rewrite most of the native wrappers that are already written. In fact, some of them can be brought to .NET. I am not sure on how to embed Ruby as a scripting language for .NET applications. The other way is pretty clear from the samples that are distributed with the download.

Go ahead. Try it out. You will be surprised on how productive you become.

No comments: